[Hackability] Mobility Scooter -Need ideas to Modify Fwd/Rev Hand Control for Small Weak 1 Hand Use

Zach organic_unity at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 17:15:53 UTC 2016

Hi Ed,
  I've hacked these types of mobility scooters before (not this brand specifically) to change some of these kinds of settings.  Have you brain stormed what an ideal driving situation would be like for her, control knob wise?  I would say that's the first step - talk together and find out what might be a comfortable alternative.
Those two pars that control forward + reverse are connected to a (very sensitive) precision logarithmic potentiometer.  Depending on your motor controllers "touchyness" you can wire that to another knob or foot pedal, or even stick somewhere on the scooter - all these can use a potentiometer.

What I actually do for myself, since this action hurts my hands as well, is add a "cruise control" circuit by creating a dummy load to the "fully on" position.  Then I just use the small dial on top to control speed and steer often with just my elbows (I have carpal tunnel).
I'm in the process of designing a DIY version / kit for people to buy online (for cheap).  But that could be a little while coming.

Anyway, there's lots of options.  Do you have any hackerspaces in Florida or do you visit SF sometimes?

-Zach