[Hardware] Noisebridge Coreboot Workshop

Trent Robbins robbintt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:01:09 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Get out your calendars - we're coreboot-ing our x220s this Thursday,
November 5th.

I have 14 of the 16MB/128MBit EEPROM chips recommended by Paul.  All of
them have been spoken for, but we are expecting to have a few extra by the
end if a waitlist forms.

Please bring $4 per x220 you will be modifying. We can choose what to do
with any extra chips. LMK in private if you need someone to spot you the $4.

*Event: *Noisebridge Coreboot Workshop - Hardware Hacking Day! (1st session)
*Place:* Noisebridge Hackatorium (we don't need a big space so we'll just
grab a table)

*Time: **5-6 PM begin hardware modification*. Latecomers should be fine.
*Date:* Thursday, November 5th.

*Important Preparation:* Please simulate this before coming in:
http://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO#Building_a_payload
Lenovo x220, Specific Information: http://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x220

We are determining which payload to use. SeaBIOS is recommended for a first
payload. I read that it is easy to screw up a GRUB2 payload if you don't
know exactly what you are doing with grub. You can also run GRUB2 from
SeaBIOS so I am leaning in the SeaBIOS direction.
SeaBIOS Payload <http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS>
GRUB2 Payload <http://www.coreboot.org/GRUB2>
Anyone else have thoughts on payload?

If anyone wants to come by earlier, Paul and I are meeting at 3 PM to make
sure it's as smooth as possible and everyone leaves with a working x220.

Best,

Trent