[haschool] Another plan for HaSchool.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:27:58 UTC 2009

  I'm back to rethinking HaSchool.

  The first attempt turned into spicy Haskell snacks right away;
  not really something you can expect people to consume on a
  regular basis.

  The second concept was UNIX utilities but this was essentially
  dressing the Haskell with lots of inscrutable sauce to cut the
  spiciness. Students who knew what was going on were
  dissatisfied and those who didn't were not seeing anything
  special (and might have been "on the way to destruction").

  So here's a third idea: we introduce purely functional
  programming with a specific goal of being able to write the IO
  monad. That way we answer the big conceptual question -- "How
  do we make sense of effectful interaction with the world in an
  effects free language?" -- as soon as we can but not too soon.

--
Jason Dusek