[ml] Hidden Markov model libraries?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Tue Jun 16 01:36:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:15:02PM -0700, Eric Glover wrote:
> As sad as it is I don't know off hand, but I have a few specific
> suggestions:
>
> I have not personally used those below
> #1: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/tj/svm_light/svm_hmm.html
> I have used - and regularly use code from Thorsten so I know it is easy
> to work with hence the link above.

That looks really cool; I didn't realize he'd stretched SVM-struct
that far.  The paper on how he did so could be a fun read, too, if
only I had time =)

Unfortunately, Joachims has a terrible license on all his stuff (free
for non-commercial/educational use only), which I don't want to deal
with.  Any Open Source license is fine, and I'll even accept Public
Domain, but this kind of half-open license is a nightmare to work with
if a project goes anywhere.  It's also not entirely clear what happens
when you bundle code that extends other code under such a license.

Joachims has (once again) licensed himself out of the running, which
makes me kind of sad.  His stuff seems really great otherwise.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com