[ml] No ML this week

Thomas Lotze thomas.lotze at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:52:56 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I haven't (yet) made it to a Machine Learning Sunday, but I was thinking
that I might be able to throw together a brief tour of statistics.  I was
trying to think about what I would put in such a tour, and had some ideas,
but would love some feedback on what sort of things people are looking for
(and if people would be interested in my trying to put this together for
this Sunday).  Also, not having every been to an ML Sunday, I'll beg your
forgiveness for my not knowing what the format is like or the culture, and
for probably saying a lot of simple things that people already know.
Anyway--if you're interested, let me know, especially if you have any advice
for how to proceed (format and/or content).  Thanks!

My random thoughts:

Basic statistics: random numbers and distributions
Some good distributions to know: binomial, poisson, normal
Estimating distribution parameters
Unbiased estimators and the bias/variance tradeoff
Confidence intervals, Testing and p-values
Maximum Likelihood Estimators
Regression
Logistic Regression
Why statisticians love the normal distribution
Why Taleb Naseem hates the normal distribution
Bootstrapping techniques
A statistical perspective on Induction
What Bayesian Statistics is basically about
Cross-validation and unbiased estimators

Cheers,
Thomas