[ml] Stanford Machine Learning Course CS229

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 03:34:34 UTC 2010

hey you guys don't know me I know, but

I looked at some of these materials before and watched one lecture and
looked through the book.

It seems to me to be a little out of date, it is aimed strictly at an
undergraduate, engineering audience not a scientific, research one.

The teacher looks to be an assistant professor looking for some way to
boost his tenure chances...

I signed up to this list a few months ago and felt rather intimidated
by the level that you were working at (like postdoc stuff or at least
thesis procrastinators) -- but now I think you are aiming too low for
yourselves...

All this could be my own prejudices though, I was looking for some
specific things which I didn't find much help with but also overall I
thought it was a little too ho-hum, really.

Brian

Yes I would like to participate possibly in your group if / when I can
get my schedule open, my math and cog sci / linguistics is pretty good
but my programming skills are really weak and I am trying to get some
improvement there but it is hard since I have not done any for some
time and it was in more straightforward physics-math stuff.

An interest I would like to learn more about and fun and interesting
if I could find out more is autonomous systems, self-organizing,
unsupervised learning (maybe now you can see why I don't like that
course -- its 90% supervised  / training stuff)