[ml] Information Retrieval talk

Jared Dunne jareddunne at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 19:35:32 UTC 2010

Hi all-

I was wondering if there is any interest in an Introduction to Information
Retrieval talk on Wednesday, September 15.

Topics would include:
- Basics:
  - Vector Space Model
  - Cosine Similarity
  - TF/IDF Term Weighting
  - Precision & Recall Metrics
- Collaborative Filtering
- Clustering Analysis

I could give a high level overview with some compelling examples to help
wrap your brains around the math.  The basics are intuitive & easy to grasp,
so I should have time to at least touch on everything above in an hour.
After that we could do Q & A, delving deeper into some of the techniques or
applying them to some of your domains of research/work.  (If you have ideas
for the latter, please send me them so I can try to work them into my
examples for the talk & slides.)

Jared-