[ml] This week: KDD, next week: Hadoop!

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Tue May 18 04:31:46 UTC 2010

Hey everyone!

Just got back the other day and looking forward to meeting up Wednesday
and hearing about Hadoop. I just read a bit through the KDD challenge, and
was wondering if I could help out by doing something involving neural nets?

Neural nets can be made good at generalization and prediction, and also
reducing problem dimensionality by clustering. For example, we could
cluster the input records into groups, and pass that group data into an SVM
or something. Or we could use some sort of dimensionality reducing network
and pass the dimensionally-reduced dataset to a bayesian learner (which
wouldn't work well if the data was high dimensional).

If someone was already thinking of doing this I'd be happy to help out,
can't
glean much of what happened from the meeting notes.

See you Wednesday!

  mike