[ml] Machine learning jobs

Vikram Oberoi voberoi at gmail.com
Thu May 20 07:04:56 UTC 2010

Hey folks,

I work at Meebo and we're hiring aggressively into our two Data Engineer
roles: Data Engineer, Analytics and Data Engineer, Machine Learning. Only
one of these job descriptions is up as we're drafting the other:
http://www.meebo.com/jobs/openings/data/.

I'm a data engineer (analytics) at Meebo and I wear a lot of hats on a daily
basis. My work spans:

a) Building/maintaining data processing infrastructure. This involves
working on things like Hadoop performance, building job schedulers, and
building reporting and monitoring tools for our data cycle. It's fairly
systems programming-heavy.

b) Processing our data to provide analytics to internal product,
engineering, and UX teams in addition to our partners. This involves working
on Pig scripts, MapReduce jobs, and delivering summary data to databases (we
use CouchDB extensively) that our frontend uses to generate useful, pretty
graphs.

c) Defining our metrics, figuring out what numbers our teams should be
looking at, and designing experiments (A/B tests) to drive growth in our
products. It's all the things I do here that drive the work I do in a) and
b).

It's a solid mix of actual, nitty gritty, wonderful software development and
big-picture thinking about where our business is headed and how we should be
measuring growth. I also get to touch a lot of teams in the company, so it's
a rather social job. If you're interested, please let me know!

Our Data Engineer, Machine Learning role is more product-centric in that our
machine learning data engineers are working on building intelligence into
our existing products or building applications on top of our mounds of data.
Currently, we have engineers working on behavioral targeting for our ads
platform. They read papers, design classifiers, implement them, and do
cross-validation testing. They also architect and build the systems that
serve requests to our classifiers.

We currently reach over 120MM unique users a month and are growing. We have
lots of interesting work and room for you to grow in your role. Ping me if
you're interested!

Cheers,
Vikram