[ml] This week: KDD, next week: Hadoop!

Adam Skory askory at gmail.com
Thu May 13 20:56:20 UTC 2010

I'm gonna chime in that I miss NB too!

Also, don't know if any of you are Pythonistas, but in case you are,
let me recommend:

Rpy: http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy.html

Rpy is a python interface to R that gives you (as far as I know, which
isn't very far) all the power of R, without having to learn too much
of the idiosyncrasies of yet another scripting language. I have found
this to be more robust than SciPy's stats module.

Dumbo: http://wiki.github.com/klbostee/dumbo/

OK, so I've only been MEANING to play with Dumbo, so let this be less
of a recommendation and more of an invitation for y'all to try
something that at least looks neat to me! My introduction to Hadoop
was through the Karmasphere Studio plugin for Netbeans. I was required
to use if for some assignment and freaggin hated it... Dumbo looks
much more friendly for one-off scripts, which is the kind of thing I
tend to write most these days.

-Skory