[ml] Social Network

Joe Hale joe at jjhale.com
Sat Nov 20 04:32:27 UTC 2010

Hey,

@Shahin: Great find - really fresh!

Clay mentioned that he'd be interested in giving a talk on
semi-supervised learning at some point - but I don't think he has
scheduled a time yet.

RE Backstrom and Leskovec's Supervised Random Walk paper:
It seems like there are lots of useful ideas to explore there. It is
interesting to note how the method that they develop compares with
logistic regression in terms of the AUC score on their facebook data.
The supervised random walk gets 0.82799 vs logistic regression's
0.81681. This suggests to me that it is probably worth investing time
in fitting a logistic regression model initially even if it does
require "tedious feature extraction".

@Mike: It would be cool if you could give us a talk on the paper,
maybe covering some of the building blocks of their method (like using
regular Random Walks to rank pages etc).

I'll add their recommended features to the candidate feature page.

Joe