[ml] [Noisebridge-discuss] Probability study group

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Tue Nov 2 05:28:22 UTC 2010

FWIW, I'm about halfway through a Monte Carlo implementation of the
questions in "50 Challenging Problems in Probability," which is a great
resource for Mastery Questions.

http://blog.appliedplatonics.com/tag/fifty-problems/ is an index of them.
 I'm now pretty firmly in the camp that believes nuanced probability
formulations are mostly obsolete, and it's sufficient to do regressions on
top of a bunch of Monte Carlo simulations.  Some problems are intractable
(due to combinatorial explosion, etc), but computers are just too fast for
me to spend a lot of time getting hung up in the ways one can simplify (or
symbolically approximate) exact solutions.

(Don't tell the me of five years ago, he'd be kind of pissed that I went
over to the SVMs-suffice camp.)
--
/jbm

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Ben Weisburd <ben.weisburd at gmail.com>wrote:

> Great to see there's some interest.
> Kai - thanks for setting up the wiki. (
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Probability)
> I just put up a proposed meeting format on there and also a set of chapter
> 1 problems which we can hopefully go over at the 1st meeting.
>
> To figure out the meeting time, can everybody please put in what time works
> for you at:
>
> http://www.scheduleonce.com/MP.aspx?param=VT02OTA3My5UPTEuTT0zMzE1Ngqualqual
>
> Look forward to meeting you all,
> -Ben
>
> Ps. Does somebody know how to set up a mailing list?
>

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Kai Chang <kai.salmon.chang at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'd be down for teaching a chapter.
>>
>> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Probability
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Mike Schachter <mike at mindmech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Ben,
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in meeting up but I'm usually pressed for time. I
>>> cc'ed the machine learning group - probability is pretty important
>>> for them and surely some ML'ers are interested!
>>>
>>>   mike

Josh Myer 650.248.3796
 josh at joshisanerd.com