[ml] R IDE options ?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Jul 1 03:44:28 UTC 2011

Cool, I hadn't seen the vim plugin.  It looks really good.

Since we've gotten a long way from gedit*, I'm a big fan of the Emacs ESS
mode, which is very, very similar (suspiciously so: they're clearly drawing
from the same features list, dunno who was first or who they're both
copying, but they're good features).

I like Rstudio because it does an incredible job of showing what the fuck
the return value of your last command actually was.  Having something doing
str() for me all the time is incredibly helpful when sorting out weird
issues.  And/or figuring out what R is doing behind the scenes.

For example, an exercise: you already have a histogram of data, built in
perl/python/intercal.  Plot it as a proper histogram in R, without using
rep().  It's not that hard, but is far from obvious, and RStudio is really
helpful for nudging you in the right direction.

MASS is helpful for learning R (and some statistics), and the R Cookbook is
really good, but nothing is nearly as comprehensive as you want it to be
when you're trying to figure out anything but the basics.
--
/jbm

* I hadn't posted because the original question was about gedit, which isn't
an editor people who know vim or emacs typically use on OS X (vim is, well,
vim, and Aquamacs is the best emacs I've used in a very long time).

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Idris Raja <idris.raja at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like writing my R code in VIM and using the R-VIM plugin to move the code
> to an R terminal for execution. much better than RStudio imho.
>
> See below for the plugin and an example video.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKVMqdZWXk
>

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Mike Schachter <mike at mindmech.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I tried RKWard once:
>>>
>>> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> It looked ok, haven't gone back to it. On linux I just use
>>> gedit with the command line. It kind of sucks but oh well.
>>>

>> just install the Rgedit plugin ! It's great ! You are one step away from
>> greatness !
>>
>> http://rgedit.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>   mike

>>> gnome