[ml] what should we do next? deep nets, reinforcement learning, complex systems?

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 01:09:43 UTC 2011

I'm for starting with the Deep Nets first.

For the RL stuff, I am thinking of it for myself as a research project (ie
longish term).  So far I have read one chapter in a book on ML and I have
been collecting papers and code packages and examples from the Web, and I am
in the process of sorting through / evalutating possibilities. I'd like to
talk or correspond with Karim, I like him leaving open both possibility of
hearing / involvement.

Part of the reason I am interested in RL is it brings together a lot of
things, hopefully in sort of a manageable, starting out kind of way.
Bringing in dynamics and simulation with a single agent, rather than a
system. As far as programming goes, a chance to develop Python skills with
given supporting packages for. As far as application goes possibly
connecting to microcontrollers as in feedback / control systems which is
interest of electronics group at noisebridge (although this would require
lower level C programming )

Brian