[ml] Google Search by Image

Glenn Wright infinite.perplexity at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 05:24:55 UTC 2011

When I try indexed images (e.g. the wikipedia image for "night heron") it
finds exactly what I'm looking for.  But when I try my own photos, I find
photos with similar color combinations and *maybe* similar types of lines
(radial, horizontal, etc.) but absolutely nothing in common so far as
subject matter goes.

It *is* fun to find photos with similar colors, though, and see what the
different subject are :)

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Mike Williams <merwanwilliams at gmail.com>wrote:

> It seems to work with faces too.
>
> I tried a famous face and I got an actual search result.
> http://bit.ly/jasRrm
>
> This might be a weird case since I downloaded the image from google search
> results, so it is probably already part of a training set somehow. The real
> test would be to have a photo of a famous person that is not already being
> indexed by Google.
>
> A picture of myself yielded a selection of portraits of people wearing
> similar clothes, so it is noticing faces, but maybe only as a byproduct of
> the algorithm?
> Check it out: http://bit.ly/iwhg8n
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi, I heard Google's Chief Engineer for Search today on NPR Science
>> Friday, saying that as of a week ago you can drag an image into the google
>> search box and it will show you images of the same kind, as in What (object
>> recognition) and Where (place location) but not Who (face recognition).
>>
>> Trying to try it on my Mac and when I drag a jpg into the search bar
>> Firefox just displays the picture.
>>
>> I uploaded a couple pictures then via
>>
>> http://www.google.com/insidesearch/searchbyimage.html
>> [click on the camera icon and then on "upload"]
>>
>> Works. Best for similar images for me was a landscape of a sunset.
>> Sometimes I got a list of links containing the image.

-Glenn