[ml] intro to machine learning class on 3/16/2011 @ 7:30pm

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Tue Mar 15 00:29:56 UTC 2011

Hello again,

My illness has abated and I'm staggeringly
enthusiastic about giving a basic introduction
to machine learning this Wednesday, in the
Church classroom (back classroom), at 7:30pm.

Machine learning is an umbrella term that embodies
lots of different ideas from different fields. It won't be
possible for me to go over every aspect of it. Instead
I'll briefly survey the following topics:

   - What is machine learning?
   - What is data?
   - What is a model?
   - Classification vs. Regression
   - Supervised vs. Unsupervised
   - Classification and Regression with Linear Models
   - Classification and Regression with Neural Networks
   - Classification with Support Vector Machines
   - Time Series with Hidden Markov Models
   - Unsupervised Clustering with k-Means

It's kind of an ambitious agenda but let's see how far we get. I'll
be suggesting that attendees donate money to Noisebridge in
return for my time, and will be passing around a donation envelope
or (unused) shoe for collections.

See you Wednesday!

  mike