[ml] Tonight

gershon bialer gershon.bialer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 05:57:48 UTC 2012

Hi Steve,

Thats cool that you wrote that Stack Overflow answer.

PyMIR looks like a good start. I see that Jeremy has a nice hack for
importing from ffmpeg. I suppose we could try using ffmpeg's API
directly, although that can be a tricky API to work with. I'd like to
be able to play this at least as a sanity check. I suppose you might
be able to play it with audiolab, but I think that requires converting
from int16 to float. I suppose float might be better for fft and such,
anyway. I tried feeding it back to ffplay with:
   ffmpeg = Popen([
            "ffplay",
            "-i -"],
            stdin=PIPE, stderr=open(os.devnull,"w"))
   ffmpeg.communicate(mp3Array.tostring())
but that doesn't seem to work. What do you think is the best way to do this?

MFCC would be cool to work with. Is it invertible? How does it sound inverted?

Does NMF give a sparse representation? What is a good reference on NMF?

Thanks,
Gershon Bialer