[ml] Statistics / software question

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat May 12 05:30:16 UTC 2012

well i've stashed graphical plots of the bins, but I do not have stored
raw data at this time because my java program what makes these graphics
doesn't save the serial data to a file.  oops.

But i will correct that asap and start providing data.  in the meantime
you can look at these plots:
http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/thorium-zoomed.png
http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/thorium-unzoomed.png
http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/carnotite-zoomed.png
http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/carnotite-unzoomed.png

and you will notice that there's absolutely no data there, it's all noise.
I have determined that this is because my scintillating crystal of NaI(Tl)
is "fried" meaning the person who sold it to me was an asshole, and the
amount of blue light coming out of the crystal has nothing to do with the
energy of the original gamma.  Random data.

fortunately I have other crystals (including a BGO crystal) and I will
capture more data soon, which will hopefully look more like this:

http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/MCA2.Cs137.jpeg

there is other data, from an older version of this detector with a
different crystal (a nasty ruined crystal but maybe not quite fried)
which you can look at here:

http://spaz.org/~jake/r/mccad/rad/data/

-jake