[ml] Tonight: Collaborative workshop on Bayesian Spam Filters

Sam Tepper sam.tepper at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:10:39 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Tonight I'm going to get a bunch of people together and try to put
together some working, personalized Bayesian spam filters we can use on
lists (eg, NB Discuss).  This will be in part a continuation of my last
workshop, but I hope to structure the workshop as little as possible.

Instead, we'll have a sort of guided self-learning, where I'll be able
to provide the core of the Bayesian algorithm and ml implementation of
the filter, also answering any questions that come up, while you
(hopefully) put the pieces together, and discover what it all means in
practice and how to make it better.

Even if you weren't able to make it for the last class, you should be
able to follow along with the basic algorithms I give you.  We'll work
together on all of this, so hopefully even if you don't finish your own
implementation, you'll at least have a good idea how to make a better
one from other people's ideas and feedback.

Beer, food, good cheer!  It'll be as fun as a ML workshop can be!

Best,
Sam