[EEG] Meet today! We have a cap! And I'm obsessed with ICA!

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Thu Apr 16 23:30:46 UTC 2009

Cool!

ICA is bringing back grad school flashbacks (as well as flashbacks of
other kinds: the first time I met Tony Bell [ICA quasi-inventor] he
was wearing nothing but a coat of red paint. This was at Burning Man
naturally.)

To refresh people's memories, here's a good ICA demo:
http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/ica/icademo/

I'm a little skeptical of some of the ICA claims, and it makes some
serious assumptions about signal forms  (non-Gaussian signals, linear
mixing, known number of components) but when it works (like toy
examples) its' super-cool. And you can get a lot of the ICA goodness
from PCA or similar approaches that don't have such rigid assumptions.

There's also a nice-looking Python library that's new to me:
http://mdp-toolkit.sourceforge.net/

See you tonight.