[Neuro] fmri

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:04:32 UTC 2012

Hi Sabina,

fMRI requires an MRI machine and they are insanely huge and expensive.
I'm not aware of any hackerspaces that have them. Usually they reside
on medical and academic campuses.

We have done some EEG projects at noisebridge, but not fMRI. EEG by
comparison is cheap and easy to build. To my knowledge, the closest
we've gotten to fMRI is that we're talking about doing some 3D
modeling based on static, structural MRI, and then one member of the
community is working on near-infrared spectroscopy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-infrared_spectroscopy) which is
like a cheaper, more portable (but substantially different) substitute
for fMRI. That would be Jonathan, whom I think is on this list but I
forget. We should probably pressure him into building a wiki page.

You can of course learn more about these things on wikipedia, but our
wiki also details some of the projects we've worked on at our
hackerspace: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Neuro

-Kelly