[Neuro] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:59:39 UTC 2012

It's not that the ear canals are sensitive to light or have receptors,
it's that the light can hit brain tissue directly through the ear
canal.

A quick search for "ears sensitive to bright light" brings up a lot of
results, such as
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-human-brain-is-sensitive-to-light-breakthrough-findings-from-valkee-and-the-university-of-oulu-127506878.html
and some hear-and-there articles about clinical trials using bright
light shined inside of ears to treat SAD.

That's all I have to say. I'll let you decide whether or not to delve deeper.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
> Can you provide any reason whatsoever why we should believe that the
> ear canal is even sensitive to degree of light, let alone color?
>
> Binaural beats are 100% irrelevant to this, as is light stimulation of
> the eyes (which, shockingly, *do* contain light receptors).
>
> You're proposing to flash light into someone's *ear*, and claiming
> that this will somehow affect their brain. That's simply not possible
> without there being some kind of light receptors there, and there are
> none.
>
> Also, mind that with EEG you're going to have very high sensitivity to
> placebo effect. Any trial that's not fully blinded will not be worth
> looking at.
>
> - Sai
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Gregory Perry
> <Gregory.Perry at govirtual.tv> wrote:
>> That is the purpose of the project, to obtain feedback from participating members of the project to report back their findings.  Coupling a three channel light pipe assembly to the output stage of a conventional photic stimulation system, in an isolated setting I can empirically show strong brainwave stimulation and entrainment in at least three major cortexes without implicating the visual cortex and without the use of binaural beats.
>>
>> I will be posting some screencasts of the EEG charting output in the upcoming days using only in-ear light sources and without the use of LED goggles and binaural beats.

-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails