[Neuro] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals

Mike Schachter mschachter at eigenminds.com
Thu Oct 11 18:24:53 UTC 2012

Hey Sai,

I'm also quite skeptical of all this, but not completely dismissive of
it. Here's the published paper from the Valkee people about OPN3
immuno-labeling:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/y137358800436w51/

Using 10 rats, they immuno-label OPN3 protein and find it expressed in
cortex, cerebellum, and hypothalamus. It'd be interesting to see some
studies from people who aren't affiliated with a company that produces
in-ear light therapy products. That's what makes this study so
suspect. Some of the authors stand to make serious financial gain from
skewing their results. In most papers you see a small section where
the authors declare no conflict of interest. In this case, there is no
such section and a HUGE conflict of interest.

Also, the unecessary enthusiasm of Mr. Perry and his incorrect
citation of a paper that deals with optogenetics that has nothing to
do with light sensitive neurons in the brain makes me more skeptical.
Maybe you guys should tone it down a bit, you're just shooting light
into people's ears and hoping it works. Which is fine. But not
science.

 mike