[Neuro] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals

Mike Schachter mschachter at eigenminds.com
Thu Oct 11 19:20:31 UTC 2012

Thanks for the response Mr. Perry.

You cited an article where the authors genetically modified a monkey
to insert light-sensitive receptors into the cortex. Optogenetics is
the process of utilizing a virus to deliver a custom payload of genes
into a host cell. In this case the custom genes were for
light-sensitive receptors that are not normally expressed in the
cortex of the monkey that were sensitive to light. That has nothing to
do with what you're looking for, intrinsically light-activated
receptors in the cortex of the human brain. By "intrinsically" I mean
neurons in the cortex that, from their non genetically modified DNA,
express photo-sensitive receptors.

I brought up two points:

1) There is a conflict of interest in the Valkee paper. The authors
did not cite their conflict of interest. They also did not compare
florescence of OPN3, a photo-sensitive receptor protein, with the
control case, the florescence of retinal neurons immuno-labeled with
an anti-body for OPN3. They suspiciously left that bar out of figure
2c of their paper.

2) There is evidence that light may not be able to penetrate deep into
the brain from the ear canals.

Thanks for the plug about my industry experience. I study Neuroscience
in the Biophysics Department at UC Berkeley. That does not make me an
expert about anything we're talking about here, and I am not claiming
that I am.

Sorry for giving you a hard time about your project, I encourage you
to continue down that path and wish you luck!

 mike