[Neuro] Shorter Letter

Caleb Garling cqgarling at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 23:31:41 UTC 2015

Hello!

 A very quick update: I launched a site dedicated to very short fiction, the kind of lil' nugget you can read in line while waiting to get coffee (rather than checking email or Twitter!).

 It's called Shorter Letter <https://medium.com/shorter-letter>. I plan to add a story once or twice each week. Follow on Medium <https://medium.com/shorter-letter> or Twitter <https://twitter.com/calebgarling> if you want to track each one.

 Here's a story called "George <https://medium.com/shorter-letter/george-897989a422ea>" that people seemed to like.
 = George =

 And so I says “George now don’t go takin this the wrong way but you don’t seem exactly in control of your facilities” and he rears back as big as a grizzly and bellows “I’m sharper than cat claws!” and then sets back down in his chair so hard the leg breaks and he goes tumblin back into these two old broads that squawk “You stupid oaf!” and hit him with their palms like this so George grabs a drink off their table and takes a swing and starts spraying it back on them all elegant like one of those European statues and now these two broads are screaming so George makes for the door because the bartender’s come ‘round the bar and he ain’t quite as big as George but he’s looking powerful mean and I hear another fella say “Better help” to his friends and even lathered George knows a bad hand so he gets to the door quick but it ain’t the front door, it’s the ladies room but of course he don’t notice the difference and goes barreling in and pretty soon there’s squawks from inside and the bartender gets to the door and some of the mean goes from his face ‘cause he don’t want to barrel in for fear of offending a lady so he pounds “Get back out here ya big goon” and then everything gets quiet and there ain’t no more squawks and the bartender’s about to charge in decency-be-damned but presently a nice broad with curly hair and a big mole on her cheek comes out, slowly, and squares to the bartender and says “Now we’re going to take that big goon outta here but you ain’t going to touch him, you hear?” and now all the mean is out of that bartender and he just offers this little nod he’s so confused and presently two more ladies come out escorting George, one on each arm, and the one with curly hair gets in formation and they walk George right out the front door and later I ask him, and he’s still drunker than piss mind you, what exactly he said to them ladies and he just goes “I appealed to their human side.” I asked him for specifics but that’s all he could say and the next morning he didn’t remember a lick of the whole episode. Their human side! That big oaf.
   found on Shorter Letter <https://medium.com/shorter-letter>
Garling Files by Caleb Garling
http://tinyletter.com/Garling-Files
In San Francisco, CA  USA