[Noisebridge-announce] Geeks Without Borders at Noise Bridge

Willow Bloo willow.bl00 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 00:22:16 UTC 2010

Hi all -

I'm the tour guide for Geeks Without Borders (the newest iteration). You can
see the conversation on what we're about in the #gwb channel. I'll try to be
on there to answer questions - but my computer is shakey, so e-mail is
better.

Here's the pitch:
Hacker and maker spaces are made up of people who enjoy problem solving
(among many other things). Wouldn't it be great if we could use our
abilities not just to solve first-world problems, but to assist others in
survival, quality of life, and closing the gap between the Haves and Have
Nots? Geeks Without Borders (GWOB.org) is an international humanitarian
organization of geeks and their technology-friendly friends, working
together to assist people whose survival is threatened by lack of access to
technology and communications due to violence, neglect, or catastrophe.

We want to have the bases for GWOB out of hacker and maker spaces across the
world. We'll be at NoiseBridge on August 9th at 7p to give a quick
presentation, do Q+A, and start on Getting Shit Done. GWOB has an organic
structure, and NoiseBridge can help form direction and functionality.

Cheers, and happy making!

+) Willow Brugh

tour guide, Geeks Without Borders
http://gwob.org