[Noisebridge-announce] Greenwire (PCB Fix-up) Workshop, 7/10

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Thu Jun 24 18:09:30 UTC 2010

Want to learn how to repair circuit boards?

Did you make a PCB, only to find out that the design is wrong?

Green wires to the rescue! "Green wires," aka "patch wires," are the fixups
made after-the-fact, completing connections and adding components. It's
the last (and mostly hidden) step in circuit design: schematic, board, green
wires. There's a lot of art to green wiring, but you can learn the
fundamentals in a couple of hours, hands-on.

Conveniently enough, I'll be running a 2 hour, hands-on workshop on green
wiring on July 10th (a Saturday)! The cost is $25, which includes an Arduino
clone kit that needs several kinds of fixes. We'll talk about diagnosing
potential problems on a circuit board, then walk through techniques for
fixing them on a kit I'm developing. At the end,
you'll have new tricks for fixing boards, as well as a better understanding
of the board design process (and a shield-compatible Arduino clone to play
with).

This is a slightly advanced workshop, so you should be comfortable with a
couple of things:

* soldering: we're going to do a fair bit of this (building a kit)
* reading schematics: you should be able to read basic schematics

If you'd like to come, please let me know, so I know how many kits to bring.
And, if you register by PayPal before July 4, it's only $20:

Register for the green wire
workshop<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ASUTJQHGZPS6S>
!

What:

Green wire workshop (PCB fix-up)

When:

Saturday, July 10th, 1PM

Where:

Noisebridge
2169 Mission St (at 18th)
SF CA 94110

BART: 16th and Mission, walk two blocks south

Cost:

Register before July 4th: $20, $25 thereafter

Noisebridge is an open workspace, so the environment may be a bit chaotic.

10% of the money I collect will be donated to Noisebridge, to help ensure
this excellent resource continues to be available.

What we'll cover:

* The construction of a PCB
* Identifying faults (shorts, opens, and oopsies)
* Basic strategies for dealing with the above
* Hands-on practice fixing each of the above

The latest details on the workshop will be maintained on the blog post:
http://blog.appliedplatonics.com/?p=183

No one turned away for lack of funds. Drop me an email in advance, and we'll
work something out. I'd love to have you there!
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
josh at joshisanerd.com