[Noisebridge-announce] BAHA - Sunday 2pm - VPNs, Darknets, and common mistakes

travis at subspacefield.org travis at subspacefield.org
Wed Jul 6 21:33:23 UTC 2011

Bay Area (Hacker's Association|Security Enthusiasts) Meeting!

2nd Sunday of every month, 2pm, at Noisebridge, in the main area.

It lasts until it's over.

It's for people interested in security, not the more general "make
stuff" kind of hacking.

Date of Meeting:
================
2pm (1400), Sunday 10 July 2011

This month we present:
======================
Travis H.

On:
VPNs, Darknets, Network Security, and Common Mistakes

Here we'll discuss how to set up your own VPN or Darknet.

We will not be talking about buying and deploying some VPN software,
but rather, design, strategy, architecture, and how to do it with no
money and with minimal leakage onto the Internet.

We'll also discuss some of the many common security mistakes people
make in doing so - this may turn into a longer, formal presentation,
since there are so many.

I have several other talks in mind which relate to or hinge on this
one, so please do try to attend if you may attend the future talks.
Future related topics include:

* advanced firewalling
* tunneling and bypassing network egress filters
* VPN interactions with DNS
* pflogin
* SPA (single packet authentication)
* captive portals and captive DNS: threats and countermeasures
* the dangers of RFC1918 addresses
* securely monitoring your VPNs
* mobile/wireless threats (why VPN is not enough)
* TOR
* security administration
* key management (huge topic, only going to get bigger)
* NIDS and source tainting
* staying connected under all circumstances
* network forensics and traffic analysis
* 100 things you didn't know to worry about

About the Author:
Travis H. founded and organizes the BAHA group.
He does stuff, and has a prohibitively long resume.

Location:
=========

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge

2169 Mission St, San Francisco, CA, Earth, Milky Way, Known Universe

Finding the space can be tricky; it has a red circular logo above the
otherwise inconspicuous door, and is next to a market that sells
fruit.  It is very close to 16th and Mission BART stop.  If you're
driving, leave 15-30 minutes extra to find parking due to the heavy
traffic around there, but you do not have to pay on Sundays.

Our Site:
=========

http://baha.bitrot.info/

Includes google calendar (never miss another meeting), directions,
link to mailing list, etc.  Please check it out.

--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | Meijin ni joseki nashi
"Who wants flowers when you're dead?  Nobody." -- Catcher in the Rye