[Noisebridge-announce] Signal To Noise #3

Noiserat noiserat at noisebridge.net
Sun Mar 27 02:20:49 UTC 2011

   .-'`-.     Signal To Noise V11.03-1415926-knuth
   z    !/|
   z    !\|   the international journal
   `-'`-      of the noisebridge hackerspace

In this issue:
> YE OLDE MAKERIE FAIRE
> YEASTIE BOYS
> LASER CUTTERS THROWING YARN BOMBS AT KIRLIAN PHOTOGRAPHS

sub/unsub:      http://nburl.net/nbannounce
send your news: just hit "reply"

>>> NEWS

         Early MAKER FAIRES were a primitive affair: just San Mateo
         County Fairground, the Noisebridge booth, a guy on stilts
         wearing a cog on a top hat, and Tim O'Reilly's personal
         black monolith egging on two apes with a femur. Some things
         don't change, though, and with your help, Noisebridge will
         be back with a booth this year. We're gathering volunteers
         who'd like to help show off their projects and run the stall
         on May 21 and 22nd. Come join us, and help volunteer at the
         booth out of pure selflessness and also free tickets.
         https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Maker_Faire_2011

         Also, MITCH is doing his synchronised-fingerprint-burning solder spectacular:
         https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Maker_Faire_2011_HHA

         Meanwile, DAVROS has been concentrating in the space's
         shadows, engineering the genesis and the purity of its
         creation: the supreme creatures; the ultimate conqueror of
         Noisebridge: GERT STRAND, BLACK LABEL. Yes, Noisebridge
         Distilled has fermented its first brewing experiment,
         codenamed after Skaro's finest, and is onto its second
         batch, named "Murderface", also  after the Doctor Who
         character, "The Murderface of Boe". More info:
         https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_Distilled

         Our laser-engraver, named ELVIS WOO, and our old refurbished
         3D printer are now fully operational, allowing Noisebridgers
         to fabricate unique objects and then zap bits off them. If
         you'd like to partake, everyone strongly recommends you sub
         the Fab mailing list, and not just set yourself on
         fire/accidentally build a Von Neumann Probe without proper
         tuition and reckful endangerment:
         First act, building a life-size action figure of Aestetix:
         http://www.flickr.com/photos/32609854@N00/5318876299/

>> Pay your dues! If you love Noisebridge so much you want to marry it,
>> pay your membership fees (some aren't coming through again), or
>> just donate $10 a month: http://nburl.net/tendollars

>>> HACKING

ULTRASTRUCTURE

         We have new Noisebridge stickers! Unlike RMS, we won't
         actually give you a little lecture about how you should put
         them somewhere people will see them rather than waste them
         inside your family mausoleum (he does this bless him). But
         they cost some money, so please put a couple of quarters in
         the donation cube when you plunder one. Or just print your
         own from hemp and whey:
         https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Identity#2008-December_version
         Customizable, too:
         http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinn/3627462828/

         RAYC, JOHN W, and JOHN E went on what can only be described
         as a deliberate act of ethical cleansing in the space,
         rampaging through the elevator and entrance area, organising
         and sorting trash like some sort of Travis Bickle-requested
         sidewalk rain. Meanwhile, WILL S is still persisting on
         hijacking stuff near the elevator room and manhandling it to
         the dump by truck if it is past its (carefully affixed)
         "trash me by" date. Adding to the suspicious air of
         organization, RAYC added a white-board to the end of the
         member shelves, listing other random acts of senseless
         tidiness that you might wish to help out with if your
         OCD berzerker nature takes hold:
         https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/021909.html

         As if responding to the contagion, RACHEL LH and TED and
         unknown hoardes staged a retaliatory tidy of the Sewing area
         "and the unnamed area in between it and the electronics
         area", hereafter known as THE UNNAMED AREA. They have a
         chalkboard, which is far more crafty than that white-board
         in the preceding paragraph! And new signs! MEREDITH has also
         threatened a lesson or two on SOFTCIRCUITS:
         https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/022164.html

         which is just the sort of thing that leads to terrifying YARN BOMBS
         https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/021963.html
         http://bayimg.com/DaEgEaaDg

ELLIPTICALLY ORBITING PROJECTS

         For those of you with a theoretical objection to words, here
         are some pictures instead, developed or processed using Noisebridges'
         darkroom and/or dark thoughts. First, Jasmine's photos from the
         Noisebridge photographer's toxic sludge party back in February:
         https://picasaweb.google.com/closeenoughforjas/SelectionsFromPalmSprings#

         And also some new pictures from the Noisebridge optics, including
         Kirlian proof of a mystic "life force" in our keys:
         http://www.flickr.com/groups/nb-optics/pool/with/5500386027/

>>> INCOMING

All the usual suspects at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events plus:

> KDE KParty!
Monday, April 4th, 9PM

We've heard it said that lots of hackers head to Noisebridge as soon
as they get to San Francisco. You are welcome! If you can find a
place between our sometimes crowded, sometimes eerily empty space, go
right ahead. This week, it'll be the visitors from CAMP KDE, the
North American meet-up for KDE core coders and contributors, all of
whom have resisted their cultural tendency to replace initial
letter "C"s with the letter "K" for the duration. They'll be partying
at the space on Monday, traditional time of circuit-hacking, which
means that it may get k... crowded. So take k... care.

Camp KDE is at Hotel Kabuki. NO DAMMIT THAT'S HOW ITS SPELLED:
http://camp.kde.org/

Meanwhile, last month had visitors from GDC and also the pyple of PyPy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29086141@N03/5513344223/
http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/1638

> TinyTux!
Every Thursday, starting at 7PM, formally at 8PM.

TinyTux is where Noisebridgers gather to ram tiny Linux distributions
into tiny little fun devices using giant software tweezers.
Here is a taste of what you might witness:
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/tiny-tux/2011-February/000100.html

> Grammar Clinic
Thursday, starting at 7PM

OWEN, a licensed poet, will help you improve your writing, be it
creative or technical or (most likely) an emotional cyborg hybrid.
Contact Owen for details at:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Owen

> Scheme and JavaScript Peeps
Scheme: Sunday 2PM
JavaScript: Still settling down

Who would ever have predicted that people liking Scheme and
JavaScript would be so similar these days? It's like the lion lying
down the lamb, if the lion had brackets for ears and the lamb had
like fifteen different equality operators. Anyway, both kinds of
people are now hanging out at Noisebridge.

Is this the Little Schemer study group? True. This is the Little Schemer study group:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Schemers
Mail the JavaScripters if you'd like to join them:
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/022133.html

>> Like to appear here? Then add your even to Noisebridge's wiki
>> and mail noiserat at noisebridge.net with plenty of time.

>>> ADMINISTRIVIA

         WILL S is a new member of Noisebridge. If you'd like to be
         a member too, write your name on the binder on top of the
         shrine, get two sponsors, wait four weeks, then come to a
         Tuesday meeting.

         If that sounds incredibly arcane:  you don't need to
         be a member to use Noisebridge. If you're not a member, but
         do use Noisebridge, consider donating. Just $10 a month helps:
         http://nburl.net/tendollars

         ... or you can pay in lots of other ways:
         http://nburl.net/autopay

>>> NOISE TO SIGNAL

Being the best of our other info-flumes:

How can we make Noisebridge more (early) Gibsonian?
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/021828.html

Plugcomputers, security threat or menace?
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-February/021706.html

What the hell are those solar-powered radios on Mission streetposts?
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/021731.html

Why camera-blinding jewelry doesn't work (yet):
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-March/022180.html

Noisebridge is San Francisco's non-profit hackerspace, free and open to anyone
wishing to explore the creative uses of technology. Join us at:

            2169 Mission St, San Francisco, California
            http://2169.mission.sf.ca.us/

Our One Minute Preamble: http://nburl.net/preamble
Our Vision:              http://nburl.net/vision

  #3 // 2011-03-26 // cc-by-sa // (un)sub http://nburl.net/nbannounce