[Noisebridge-announce] 1st female hackerspace opens in Berkeley!

Sho Sho the HackerMom shosho at hackermoms.org
Tue Apr 10 05:19:09 UTC 2012

[image: Inline image 1]

Dear Friends at Noisebridge, Ace Monster Toys, Sudo Room, Tokyo Hackerspace
& everyone worldwide at hackerspaces.org:

After 9 months of incubation, Mothership HackerMoms have opened a sweet
little hackerspace in Berkeley, California. We are the first women's
hackerspace ever in history, no kidding. Why moms? Non-moms can join your
spaces, but creative moms need childcare, which we offer along with time
and space, and a kid-friendly space where little ones can learn from our
creative action. Support and interest has been terrific. Our doors opened
last week at 3288 Adeline, Berkeley 94703. Now we're moving in, getting
nonprofit, moving our starter site to Drupal (thanks to a cool hacking
grandma), working on a Kickstarter, figuring out membership,
collecting equipment
donations <http://mothership.hackermoms.org/donate-equipment/> and startup
cash donations <http://mothership.hackermoms.org/>. Also you're invited to
our bubblicious, hula-hooping Grand Opening Benefit on May 26-27!

We heart your awesome spaces and welcome input as we get going. (Like how
do we get great equipment?!? We're empty.) We're so thrilled to be part of
the worldwide hackerspace community, and can't wait to see what unique spin
we women put on hacker culture. Our grand vision is to spawn more female
hackerspaces across the world! So pass the word on! Visit our weekly open
house* *on Wed mornings 10am-12pm or Thurs nights 6-8pm. Let us know if you
have any questions. And yes, dads are welcome!

Alive and kicking,
Sho-Sho Smith & the HackerMoms

-----
web: http://mothership.hackermoms.org