[Noisebridge-announce] Tahoe, The Least Authority File System, Thursday Night Hack Meet

Zancas Dearana zancas at leastauthority.com
Tue Dec 4 21:30:47 UTC 2012

The Tahoe Least Authority File System is a peer-to-peer system that stores
data redundantly with agents who cannot read the data contents.  These
agents are granted close to the *minimum* authority necessary to support
requests about the data.  This design is motivated by the "Principle
of Least Authority".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_authority

This Thursday (2012-12-06) at 19:00 PST, members of the Tahoe
community will have
a physical meetup at "The Big Noisebridge Table".  We'll project
a basic state diagram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_diagram) depicting
the behaviour of the distributed "Lease Database" that the "storage server"
agents in the Tahoe network use to manage the encrypted data that they
store.  During our meeting we'll add correct and useful content to the diagram.

An overview of the design, including the basic state diagram, can be found here:

https://github.com/davidsarah/tahoe-lafs/blob/1819-cloud-merge/docs/proposed/leasedb.rst

For a general introduction to Tahoe check this out:

https://tahoe-lafs.org

Gimme the code!!

To understand the behavior of the "lease data base" we'll be inspecting this
code (you might want to look at this before Thursday!):

https://github.com/davidsarah/tahoe-lafs/tree/master/src/allmydata/

storage/leasedb.py
storage/account.py
storage/accountant.py
storage/accounting_crawler.py
storage/server.py (less important)

No punch...   no pie...   just a group building a better Information
Super Highway (a series of tubes in The Cyber)!

--
-- ظ