[Noisebridge-announce] Automotive Network Discussion

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 01:49:27 UTC 2012

A reminder, a request and further information for the event next Tuesday.

We will be getting together on Tuesday July 17th at 7:00PM at Hacker Dojo
for this DC650 event.

I'd request that only people who have something specific to add to the
discussion of privacy and security implementation attend. The meeting will
be formatted as a working group rather than a presentation. We only have
space for 15 participants, including me. I am also working on a tight
deadline to get this in and I want to offer the opportunity for community
contribution. I would hate to have to exclude someone who has something
important to contribute because someone has decided to attend just out of
curiosity.

I plan to offer a presentation on what we are covering here in more detail
suitable for a wider audience at a later point, so there's still
opportunity to get involved even if you don't feel you have any
contribution to offer just yet.

To prepare for the working group, we will be starting with the recently
published white paper on the security approach, considering accuracy,
relevancy and completeness. In the interest of time, I'd request that
participants have a look at this before attending, so I don't have to
discuss it in any detail. (Please don't make any assumptions that any of
the propositions in this white paper are necessarily true.)

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/43000/43500/43513/FHWA-JPO-11-130_FINAL_Comm_Security_Approach_11_07_11.pdf

More information on the communication technology employed:
DSRC (Dedicated Short Range Communications), the communication medium:
http://www.its.dot.gov/factsheets/dsrc_factsheet.htm

The focus I expect to maintain in this discussion is privacy. Personal
privacy is *not* a negotiable condition for the implementation of this
system. (We start getting into 5th Amendment issues if we can't maintain
it.) If users privacy may be compromised in any foreseeable way, then the
system will not be implemented.

As an interesting note, we are not limited to technical issues, but may
want to consider weaknesses of policy decisions as well.

Christie
_______
"Privacy is not a discrete commodity, possessed absolutely or not at all."
Justice Marshall, Smith v. Maryland dissent