[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 8/13: Catch Up Day: Ruby Beginners Class (Level 1)

Sameer Siruguri sameer at railsschool.org
Wed Aug 7 18:18:59 UTC 2013

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm on August 13, 2013

Catch Up Day: Ruby Beginners Class (Level 1)

This class is an introduction to the Ruby programming language, presented with an eye to the emphasis Ruby places on using object-oriented concepts. This class assumes you have interest in learning how to write programs and some familiarity with computer systems in general, but you don't need to know any Ruby at all.

If you have a favorite computer language you use, and would like to learn what the corresponding Ruby commands are, join in the discussion by all means!

We will use this example to cover the following topics:

+ Some common data types, the way other languages use them
  + Nil and nothingness
+ Important helpers provided by Ruby for your basic tasks
  + puts and variable insertion
  + Ruby core goodies: File Regexp
  + Environment and command line: ENV, ARGV
+ Is everything an object?
  + What do you mean, "everything is an object"?
  + A second look at the common data types... a=[] is the same as a=Array.new, etc.
  + Member variable and methods
  + Understanding class scope - instance variables and class variables

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/catch-up-day-ruby-beginners-class-level-1-aug-13
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org