[Noisebridge-announce] intro machine learning meetup: Thursday 12/19 @ 7:00pm

Mike Schachter cubicgoats at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 23:50:59 UTC 2013

Next Thursday, in the Church classroom, I will be teaching an introductory
class in machine learning. Our goal will be straightforward: given a
dataset, what are the first things to be done? We will go over:

1) How to read and represent data in python
2) How to create and plot features from the data
3) How to use histograms to look at the distribution of features
4) What is regression? (If there is time)

No software prerequisites will be necessary, because we will be using SAGE (
https://cloud.sagemath.com/). All you need is a web browser, your brain,
and it's support system.

I am synthesizing a dataset from two sources:

The SIPRI database of international arms transfers:
http://portal.sipri.org/publications/pages/transfer/splash

The PRIO database of international armed conflicts:
http://www.prio.no/Data/Armed-Conflict/

With such a rich dataset, we can start to examine fun things like the
relationship between international arms transfers and worldwide armed
conflicts.

 mike