[Noisebridge-announce] Max/MSP class #3 -- Wednesday Feb.20 @20:00 in Turing

Sam Tarakajian starakajian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:27:20 UTC 2013

Sup all,

Next Max class is going to be this Wednesday the 20th of February at 20:00.
Building on the stuff we talked about last time, we're going to dive even
deeper into video, but we're going to do it by diving into audio. Turns out
that one of the best ways to modulate video is to start streaming audio at
it. The results may or may not make sense, but then that's sort of the idea.

You don't have to write ahead if you plan on stopping by, but I certainly
wouldn't mind if you wanted to write, just to say hi. Hope to see you there!

-S

----- BEGIN WTF IS A MAX SPIEL -----

Max/MSP is a visual programming language for music and multimedia. The
visual part means that instead of representing logic using text and
grammar, Max uses blocks and connections. The multimedia part means that
Max is especially well suited for working with audio, video and data
streams, making it perfect for reactive installations, algorithmic art and
all kinds of other stuff.

This class will assume absolutely no experience with Max whatsoever, except
for all the previous classes. You can find example patches from the
previous classes (as well as more information) at
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Noise~_Wednesday.

We'll start with getting Max downloaded and installed, and from there I'll
move straight to building basic patchers with Max. We can talk about
generating simple algorithmic music, sampling recorded sound, working with
live video, and whatever else people might be interested in.

If you plan on attending then it would be great if you could write me just
to let me know you're coming. Include, if you would, your name, a little
bit about yourself and why you're interested in Max. And if there's
something you'd like to see covered, let me know about that as well. Or, if
you already know about Max and you'd like to participate in leading the
class, that would be great as well. I could certainly use the help.

----- END SPIEL OH SO THAT'S A MAX -----

Looking forward,
-S