[Noisebridge-announce] Frontend Web Development, Monday 8pm: Backend web development!

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:26:26 UTC 2013

Monday's class is all about the seedy underbelly of web development: the
backend!

I know we already have a backend class here at Noisebridge (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Backend_web_dev_in_Ruby_on_Rails), but
this one's tailored toward frontend developers wanting to get a taste of
how things come together. We'll spend the first half talking about PHP,
then move onto a Rails, a more complex example.

This class requires some preparation! Please follow one of these sets of
steps before Monday 8pm. I think it will take about half an hour to do the
easy steps, so if you want to come at the usual 7:30 recap time to install,
that would work.

In fact, it would be great if someone could follow the easy steps ASAP and
tell me if they work and how long it takes.

---

THE EASY WAY:
If you would like to follow along and are on Windows or OS X, the easiest
option is to run a virtual machine:
- Install VirtualBox AND the Extension Pack:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- Download this (1.82GB):
http://jeffreyatw.com/static/frontend/series3/class20/Ubuntu.ova
- Double-click the .ova file. You might want to check the "reinitialize the
MAC address" step.
- Start the machine after installation and you're all set!

THE HARDER WAY:
If you don't want to use a virtual machine. I haven't tried these myself,
so I can't profess as to how easy or hard it is.

On Linux, you'll need to follow these steps:
http://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

On Windows or Mac OS X:

Start with RailsInstaller:
http://railsinstaller.org/

And for PHP:
Mac: http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html
Windows: http://www.wampserver.com/en/

THE HARDEST WAY:
Install Apache, PHP, RVM, Ruby, and Rails individually. Good luck!

---

If you can't make it to this week's lecture, you can watch a live
video stream of the class. Join this Google+ Event to watch (you don't have
to be a Google+ member):
https://plus.google.com/events/c2qunrd2p46r3r0qvnr87u3enrk
This video stream will also be available to watch after the class is
complete.

--- The usual details follow ---

Learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript - and put them to good use! This class,
taught by Jeffrey Carl Faden, is aimed at complete beginners who are
interested in web development, as well as seasoned professionals
looking to brush up on the latest and greatest.

Frontend web development is all about making code that runs in the
browser (versus code that runs on the server). There isn't a big focus
on web design (creating wireframes and mockups), but we do cover best
practices for turning these designs into beautiful code.

The class starts on Monday at 8pm, and goes until 10pm!

This class and the space in which it's taught are entirely free to
attend. Please bring a laptop. Read all of the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development

Jeffrey