[Noisebridge-announce] Version control (Git) and the command line, Monday, 7:30pm

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:06:44 UTC 2013

Hey all! On Monday, I'm going to be giving a general overview on version
control and the command line. For my Frontend Web Development class, I've
taught how to use an FTP client to upload files to the web, but the truth
is that most developers don't do that anymore - rather, they collaborate
with their peers by using version control systems, which allows them to
keep track of their work in a reliable fashion and push it to the web.

This class isn't about web development per se - it's just an important
introduction to using the command line to work with Git, one of the most
popular version control systems. I'm trying to pitch this as a class that
can be beneficial to all types of programmers. You'll be creating your own
repository and checking in your work.

We'll use our usual recap period starting at 7:30pm to install all
necessary software. If you want to get a head start, here's what you can do:
- Sign up for a free account at GitHub (https://github.com/)
- Install Git (http://git-scm.com/). If you're on Windows, install Git for
Windows (http://msysgit.github.com/) (all default options are fine).
Otherwise, just show up in the Church classroom at 8pm if you have
everything installed. We'll go until about 10pm, or a little before.

If you can't make it to this lecture, you can watch a live
video stream of the class. Join this Google+ Event to be notified of
when to hop on (you don't have to be a Google+ member):
https://plus.google.com/events/c5u0iburugh3b1ub8vcbjvhd6no
This video stream will also be available to watch after the class is
complete.

This class and the space in which it's taught are entirely free to
attend. Please bring a laptop. Read all of the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development

Jeffrey