[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 10/8: Catch Up Day: Beginners Rails Programming

Sameer Siruguri sameer at railsschool.org
Wed Oct 2 03:56:31 UTC 2013

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm on October  8, 2013

Catch Up Day: Beginners Rails Programming

This is an opportunity for new students to get a jumpstart on learning the Rails framework, following along with the basic of the Getting Started Guide (links in description).

The goal of the class is to introduce the basic ideas of the Rails framework, presenting a distilled summary of the [Getting Started Guide](http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html). You are welcome to read [the course material](http://sameer.siruguri.net/railsschool-rails/course_content/) ahead of the class; it also has pointers to more advanced topics that you can start exploring on your own if you like.

## Pre-Requisites

We will assume no familiarity with the Rails framework, but will assume you have some familiarity with programming concepts. Familiarity with the material we cover in [our Ruby Beginners Level 1 class](http://sameer.siruguri.net/railsschool-ruby/v2/index.html) would be very helpful to you in this Rails catchup class.

We will use the course material and the code, which is [also available on Github](http://www.github.com/siruguri/railsschool-catchup-rails).

## Installing Ruby and Rails

Before class, install Ruby and Rails on your system, getting as far as you can following these instructions:

* [How should I prepare for my first Ruby lesson?](http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Ruby_lesson)
* [How should I prepare for my first Rails lesson?](http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Rails_lesson)

The course material also summarizes these steps.

If you have any questions about the material or suggestions for what to cover in the class, feel free to email us at team [at] railsschool.org

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/catchup-day-beginners-rails-programming-oct-08
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org