[Noisebridge-announce] Instructables Breadboarding Challenge

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 05:52:12 UTC 2013

There will be free pizza.

WHAT: Instructables/JameCo Breadboarding Challenge
WHEN: Sunday, September 22nd, 4pm to 8pm.
WHERE: Noisebridge
WHO: intermediate and Advanced circuit-makers.

Join us for a breadboarding challenge, sponsored by Instructables.com
and JameCo Electronics. We've got 4 breadboards, 4 9-volt batteries,
tons of LED's various colors, buncha resistors, some small LED panels
who's function i cannot fathom, a bunch of crystal oscillators, some
weird russian capacitors, and miscellany. Our challenge is to build
something functional with these parts.

We can pull a few extras we from NB stacks. I'm not permitting
microprocessors or microcontrollers, but we may use simple digital
switches, dividers and counters, transistors, and 9volt-to-5volt DC
converters in NB stocks, if needed for TTL (or fake it with resistor
dividers).

Attendees will form themselves into 4 build teams. Each team's board is
required to provide the following connections to the outside world:

  * One or more LED inputs, for driving LED's. These would be driven by
    rising and falling voltages from other teams' boards.
  * One or more gradually and/or abruptly rising and falling voltages,
    to drive LED's and discharge-switches and other teams' boards.
  * One or more digital switch control-terminals for discharging caps,
    driven by rising and falling voltages from other teams' boards.

Then we can interconnect the boards from each team, and watch the
fireworks.

Attendees will vote for the winning team. The winning team wins a food
gift certificate or equivalent prize.

The idea is to drive the LED's with the capacitors, and to charge the
caps with the outputs of the crystal oscillators, and also to charge the
caps with each other, by connecting them in random ways. I envision the
LED'S fading and/or switching on and off in complex patterns, as the
caps get randomly charged and discharged. We can use digital switches to
discharge the caps, thus producing control-voltages. And control those
switches with control-voltages coming from other caps.

So, the key to all of this is the ability to gradually charge one cap,
or several caps, over the course of a few seconds, driven with the
output of a crystal oscillator. Please send me suggestions on how we
might achieve this.

Then, some other (unrelated) control-voltage will discharge the cap, and
the process starts over.

One idea is to use two or more crystal oscillators of different
frequencies, and translate the phase difference between them into
Up/Down voltages (as in a PLL, but without a VCO). Maybe we can achieve
varying phase differences by switching between different oscillators
(with digital switches). Or, maybe a mic input could provide a reference
freq for the phase comparator.

Be there, or be a square-wave.

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!