[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 10/1: "Hello world" in the Elixir Programming Language

Gabe Kopley gabe at railsschool.org
Fri Sep 27 19:19:13 UTC 2013

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm on October  1, 2013

"Hello world" in the Elixir Programming Language

Elixir is a functional programming language that is said to be Ruby-ish, how cool is that?

This is a class for all levels, but I suggest you either have intermediate Ruby experience or have previously dabbled in functional programming.

We will play with concurrency.

If you want to follow along on your computer, please install Elixir ahead of time by following the [Elixir Getting Started Guide](http://elixir-lang.org/getting_started/1.html).

(Elixir requires a relatively recent version of Erlang, packages of which are available for many environments. I'm running an old version of Ubuntu for which there is no package, but was able to compile from source without too much trouble.

Once you have your Erlang installed, see if there is an Elixir package available for your package manager. In my case, my Ubuntu was too old once again,  but I found that the [generic precompiled packaged](https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/download/v0.10.2/v0.10.2.zip) installed like a charm.)

I'll post a hangout link in the whiteboard at 7pm.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/hello-world-in-elixir
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org