[Noisebridge-announce] write a letter at Noisebridge, and help free Syrian open source coder Bassel Khartabil

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Dec 9 04:14:25 UTC 2014

Niki Korth of the Free Bassel campaign writes:

December 10th 2014 is Bassel Khartabil's 1000th day in prison in Syria.
A self taught programmer and open source enthusiast, he started a hacker
space in Damascus and helped to found Creative Commons Syria. He was
working to empower his community in Syria through the ethos of the open
community and making culture, and in light of this, was arrested.

We are holding a letter-writing event for Bassel to mark his 1000th day,
call for his release, show our support, and keep his story alive.

Are you out of practice with writing letters? Don't worry, we can help.
In addition to helping you brainstorm, we'll have pre-written letters to
sign, as well as templates to get you started if you need. All are
welcome to drop in for any portion of the event.

We'll provide envelopes, postage stamps, pens and paper, food and
beverages, although you are welcome to bring any of these items to share!

**Please bring a laptop if you prefer to type your letters**

Event details::
Place:  Noisebridge Hackatorium (the tables in the main space)
Date: Wednesday 10 December
Time: 6-9 pm
Read more about Bassel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_Khartabil
http://freebassel.org/campaign/