[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 5/20: Rails Learning Stoppers

Dennis Woo dennis at railsschool.org
Thu May 15 13:47:12 UTC 2014

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm on May 20, 2014

Rails Learning Stoppers

If Rails is supposed to be easy to learn, why am I having such difficulty?

Okay, I’ll be that guy:  If Rails is supposed to be easy to learn, why am I having such difficulty?  Because Rails is BIG and a number of the most popular online resources simply throw too much at you at once.  So this is yet another run through of Rails basics with attention to typical stoppers (specifically: routing, params, MVC, simple database access) — examples will be drawn from a smaller framework called Sinatra.  From my experience, working with Sinatra helps to clarify some of the basic magic going on with Rails that remains mysterious to most novices.

Agenda:
* Presentation on Why is Learning Rails So Hard? - 30 mins
* Walk through of implementation in Sinatra - 30-45 mins
* Discussion, bonus walkthrough as time permits

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/rails-learning-stoppers
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org