[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 11/11: Authorization with Pundit

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Wed Nov 5 20:36:30 UTC 2014

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on November 11, 2014

Authorization with Pundit

Pundit is a great gem for authorization. We'll build on a previous lesson and make a simple app that uses Devise for authentication and Pundit for authorization.

Authorization means controlling what users are allowed to do what actions, and it's an important part of many Rails applications. In the past the [CanCan](https://github.com/ryanb/cancan) gem was commonly used for this. We'll explore [Pundit](https://github.com/elabs/pundit), a new-ish gem that takes a different approach.

This class will build on a [previous lesson](https://www.railsschool.org/l/authentication-with-devise) where we set up the Devise gem to handle authentication. We'll extend that work and combine Devise's authentication abilities with Pundit's authorization.

Students should have a Ruby on Rails development environment installed and ready to go (here is a [guide](http://installfest.railsbridge.org/installfest/choose_your_operating_system?back=installfest)), and be familiar with the concepts of user authentication and authorization. To get the most out of this class you should be familiar with Ruby on Rails, MVC application architecture, and the Devise, Pundit, and CanCan gems.

If there is interest I'll broadcast a google hangout, check out the whiteboard at class time for a link.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/auth-with-pundit
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org