[Noisebridge-announce] PyClass 13-week Curriculum Restarts Monday 5.18.15

hyperti.me.rpi at gmail.com hyperti.me.rpi at gmail.com
Fri May 15 01:48:21 UTC 2015

Topic: Noisebridge Python Class / PyClass

In four days, Monday May 14, we will start a new cycle of PyClass.

WHO
===

If you are new to Python and want to get a jumpstart, this is a great
opportunity. We are
starting a little bit further back, although a basic knowledge of Python or
programming in some language is necessary.

The course is free although we recommend a donation to Noisebridge.
Donations go to: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Donate_or_Pay_Dues
Recommended Donations: $15, $50, $200+
Recommended monthly donations: $10, $20, $40, $80+ / month

This is a lower-to-higher intermediate Python class. Each course starts
easy and becomes more technical as we head further into the lecture.
Significant time is spent integrating with general technologies: sqlite,
regular expressions, flask, json, virtualenv, unit tests, and logging are
all on the syllabus, along with more python-specific topics.

COURSE LAYOUT
=============

The pattern of these courses will be a little bit different, we will do a
talk every Monday with key examples. Thursday, project night, will be spent
building a project using the technology. Both are important if you wish to
fully understand and apply each topic.

Courses are (with the exception of the final 3 weeks) modular, and with
sufficient understanding of Python you can miss a week and still follow the
next week.

The first two courses are very important to understanding the rest of the
class.

The course takes place from 7 PM to 9 PM on Mondays and Thursdays. Some
folks arrive early to clean up the room and answer questions.  We sometimes
stay late to work on technical questions that come up during the lectures.

More information can be found at:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Pyclass

All course materials are available on our github repository:
https://github.com/PyClass/PyClassLessons

WHERE AND WHEN
==============
Monday - Turing Classroom - 7 PM to 9 PM
Thursday - Church Classroom - 7 PM to 9 PM

We recommend folks arrive at 645 PM to ask/answer questions, settle down,
and clean up the room a bit before we start class.

SYLLABUS
========
1 JSON and Data Containers
2 Keywords and Control Flow
3 Virtualenv and 3rd Party Modules
4 Pythonic Workflow, functions, generators, duck typing
5 Introspection: pdb, help, dir, inspect, timeit, error handling
6 SQLite3
7 OOP - overview/sample project
8 Tests - 'unittest' module
9 Regular Expressions
10 Logging
11 Flask - Introduction and Project Template
12 Flask - A First Webapp - Part 1
13 Flask - A First Webapp - Part 2

Thanks, see you at PyClass!

PyClass Team