[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 10/13: Make an API with Rails 5

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Fri Oct 9 14:51:54 UTC 2015

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on October 13, 2015

Make an API with Rails 5

Rails 5 has a new "api mode". Let's check it out!

Rails is really great for writing a json-based api, and combining a Rails api with a JavaScript front end is an increasingly common way to build web applications.

Rails, however, has a lot of stuff that's not really useful for making apis. For example, an asset pipeline. Rails 5 comes with a new "api mode" that strips an application of a lot of the normal rails functionality.

Is this helpful for building apis? Let's find out! We'll explore this new feature and see how it might be useful.

This class is suitable for all levels of Ruby and Rails knowledge. You should know basic principles of web application design, know what a json api is, etc. If you're not familiar, there are tons of great tutorials on the web about making a json api with Rails.

I will post a hangout url on the whiteboard before class starts.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/rails_5_api
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org