[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 9/15: Beginners Web Programming Using Ruby on Rails

Sameer Siruguri sameer at railsschool.org
Thu Sep 10 16:04:05 UTC 2015

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at 7pm Pacific on September 15, 2015
 covering:Beginners Web Programming Using Ruby on Rails
*Venue: *Noisebridge, 2169 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110, (in the
Church room)

This is an opportunity for new students to get a jumpstart on learning
basic concepts of web programming, which we'll demonstrate using the Rails
framework. We will follow along with the basic material in the Getting
Started Guide (links in description). The focus will be more on backend
concepts (model and controller) vs. front-end - read, not much
HTML/CSS/Javascript.

This class introduces the basic ideas of web application programming, using
the Rails framework, presenting a very distilled summary of the RailsGuides
Getting Started Guide <http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html>.
You are welcome to read this ahead of the class, and come with questions.
We will try to help you with any Ruby on Rails installation issues you may
have encountered, if you bring along your laptop. Feel free to email the
instructor before the class with any questions you have! Here are a few tips
<http://is.gd/rails_installation_tips> on how to install Ruby and Rails for
Windows and Mac.
Pre-RequisitesWe will assume no familiarity with the Rails framework, but
will assume you are comfortable with technical ideas like data manipulation
and cloud-based servers. The class tends to attract attendees who have had
some experience with coding before, but don't be shy to participate and
listen in, even if you haven't been exposed to coding.
A Google On Air link will be published to the whiteboard on this page
before the class begins. It will be available as a public recording.
Familiarity with Ruby concepts and syntax will definitely help - we'll
point as we go along where knowing Ruby helps you understand Rails.
Installing Ruby and RailsBefore class, install Ruby and Rails on your
system, getting as far as you can by following these instructions:

   - How should I prepare for my first Ruby lesson?
   <http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Ruby_lesson>
   - How should I prepare for my first Rails lesson?
   <http://www.railsschool.org/faq#How_should_I_prepare_for_my_first_Rails_lesson>

The Rails guides above also summarize these steps.
If you have any questions about the material or suggestions for what to
cover in the class, feel free to email us at team [at] railsschool.org,
and/or the instructor at sameer at railsschool.org

The class will take place at Noisebridge in the Church room.
RSVP HERE
<http://www.railsschool.org/l/beginners-web-programming-with-rails-sep-15-2015>

May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,