[Noisebridge-announce] April 20 -- SF Amateur Mathematicians: Fun with Quadratic and Cubic Reciprocity

Brandon brandonesbox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 04:11:44 UTC 2016

SF Amateur Mathematicians will be having a talk on quadratic and cubic
reciprocity in *Turing Room* on *Wednesday, April 20*.

Check out the...
Meetup event:
http://www.meetup.com/SF-Amateur-Mathematicians/events/230163461/
Noisebridge Wiki page:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/SF_Amateur_Mathematicians

SFAM is a math club open to everyone interested in learning more about
math. Topics and talks generally assume some collegiate mathematical
background.

Event blurb:

Time for another math club meeting! Rhombus!

This time we have Paul Pedersen, who you may know from the Silicon Valley
Math Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/Silicon-Valley-Math-Meetup/). I was
fortunate enough to have made his talk on Galois Theory in the Fall of last
year, and was inspired to get him to come give a talk here in SF. Paul
managed to exhibit the beauty and essence of Galois Theory very accessibly
 in the course of about an hour and a half.

This talk will be about Quadratic and Cubic Reciprocity, which Paul
described as "some of the most beautiful mathematics in the world." I'm
pretty stoked to see his treatment of it.