[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 4/12: Intro to Phoenix II

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Wed Apr 6 18:15:47 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on April 12, 2016

Intro to Phoenix II

A follow up class to our previous introduction to Phoenix, a web framework for Elixir

Phoenix is a web framework written in Elixir. Elixir is a functional language, built on Erlang, but with a Ruby-like syntax. Elixir promises fast, concurrent, reliable code. Phoenix builds on Elixir, and also on frameworks like Rails, to create a productive and scalable web development framework.

In a [previous class](https://www.railsschool.org/l/intro-to-phoenix) we learned some basics about Elixir and Phoenix, and made a simple JSON api. In this class we'll continue our learning by adding model-level relationships (belongs_to and has_many), tests for that behavior, and some other basics depending on how class goes.

This class assumes familiarity with MVC-type web frameworks, and also assumes some basic familiarity with Elixir. If you are new to Elixir, [this is a great intro](https://howistart.org/posts/elixir/1)

If you missed the last class but want to get caught up, check out this [blog post](http://www.coshx.com/blog/2016/03/16/json-api-with-phoenix/). Our class followed this post very closely.

I will post a hangout on the whiteboard before class.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/intro-to-phoenix-two
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org