[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 6/14: Growing Community w/ Games; Redis; TDD sprints

Rob M it at excelsiorcarpetone.com
Wed Jun 8 23:40:22 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on June 14, 2016

Growing Community w/ Games; Redis; TDD sprints

Building Communities Through Games, Redis, TDD Sprinting, and Open Source Collaboration

In this event we'll do a code walk of adventure_channel, a ruby based IRC game bot that's being built under a TDD methodology.  The kicker?  The outermost design pattern of this playful app is MVC, just like rails one of the leading industry-grade web frameworks!  At the end of the course, we'll see if it's possible to break off into groups of 2-3 and begin pairing on the code.  Ideally the breakdown would be 1 experienced rails dev guiding 1-2 newer folks at the keyboard.  Failing that setup, the group can watch as I conduct a few iterations TDD and speak out loud my thought process.

Expect to take away a better understanding of 'why' MVC in rails, and 'what' MVC really is.  Additionally, there's a fun opportunity to see how a Sr. Rails dev would organize game logic and architect it such that the front-end/ delivery mechanism could be easily switched over to something other than that of the original prototype (e.g. HTML canvas, webGL, SDL, etc).

Requirements:

  - Git
  - git hub account so you can fork [adventure_channel](https://github.com/TheNotary/adventure_channel)
  - Intermediate software engineering skills or an interest in watching people code

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/bonding-communities-w-game-redis-tdd-sprints
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org