[Noisebridge-announce] Rails class 6/28: Authorization in Phoenix Web apps using Plug

Brad brad at railsschool.org
Wed Jun 22 17:23:48 UTC 2016

Hi, Noisebridge! We added a new class at  7pm Pacific on June 28, 2016

Authorization in Phoenix Web apps using Plug

An overview of how to use Plug to build an authorization system in a Phoenix web applications.

Phoenix is a web application framework, similar to Rails, written in the Elixir programming language. Elixir is a functional language with great support for concurrency. Phoenix is a fun, productive, and scalable way to build web applications.

In Phoenix, we use [Plug](http://www.phoenixframework.org/v0.11.0/docs/understanding-plug) to solve some of the same problems that Ruby's Rack solves, but in a different way. This new approach offers some new ways to solve old problems, including user authorization.

This class will be a walkthrough of a user authorization system built with Plug, and used in a Phoenix web app. The source code is [here](https://github.com/coshx/phx_oembed).

This class is primarily suited for web developers. Though some practical knowledge of web application development will be extremely useful in understanding the material, specific knowledge of Elixir, Phoenix, or Rails is not necessary.

If you are interested in learning more about Elixir, check out this [excellent guide](https://howistart.org/posts/elixir/1). For an introduction to building web apps with Phoenix, check out [this tutorial](http://www.coshx.com/blog/2016/03/16/json-api-with-phoenix/).

I'll post a hangout link on the whiteboard before class starts.

RSVP here: http://www.railsschool.org/l/user-auth-with-plug
May The Force Be With You!

Best regards,
Rails School, http://www.railsschool.org